Thursday, July 3, 2008

Dalmiya breaks his silence, says he will fight CAB elections


Jagmohan Dalmiya is all set to stage a comeback. The veteran cricket administrator, forced into an exile by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), on Wednesday announced his candidature for the Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) presidency at the state body's annual elections to be held later this month.

He will be up against Prasun Mukherjee, who succeeded Dalmiya in 2007 after the BCCI booted out the latter on corruption charges.

Speaking to The Indian Express, Dalmiya said: "I have finally decided that I will fight for the CAB president's post. I am prepared as far as the elections are concerned. But as people wanted me to contest, I think it was high time that I announced I was ready for it," the 68-year-old said, adding that he would file his nomination next week.

The CAB elections are slated to be conducted in the last week of July at the BC Roy Club House at Eden Gardens. The exact date is expected to be announced at the CAB Working Committee meeting on July 8.

In a career spanning over two decades, Dalmiya has served as the president of the International Cricket Council (ICC), the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and CAB. In 2006, he had defeated former Kolkata police chief Prasun Mukherjee in a bitterly-contested fight for the top job

No comments: