Monday, June 30, 2008

The newest addition to India's spin bowling armoury, left-armer Pragyan Ojha

Karachi: The newest addition to India's spin bowling armoury, left-armer Pragyan Ojha credits Test captain Anil Kumble for helping him learn the tricks of the trade and fine tune his game.

"Obviously it helps a lot if you are playing with experienced bowlers like Anil Kumble and Harbhajan Singh. I have not had a chance to speak to 'Bhaji' but I have been in touch with Anil brother and he has been very helpful to me," Ojha told reporters after a net session Monday.

Ojha, who made his ODI debut against Bangladesh on Saturday, said he had got tips from Kumble who had given him a lot of guidance. "His advice has helped me a lot and it is good to learn from experienced players like him," he said.

Ojha, who had a decent show in the Indian Premier League, didn't agree that the Twenty20 competition was the main reason behind his selection in the Indian team for the Asia Cup.

"No, it has all come together. It is very important to also play and perform in Ranji trophy, Deodhar trophy and the Challenger trophy. I think playing in all these events including the IPL has brought me forward," he said.

The young spinner who impressed on his debut against Bangladesh said he was prepared to the challenges of bowling to sub-continental batsmen who play spin well.

"My only ambition is to play for my country and do well. There is pressure, no doubt, but I can take it. Playing in the Asia Cup against batsmen who are used to playing spinners is a challenge but I have accepted it," he said.

"My first match was a good one and I just want to continue the same way whenever I get a chance to play," he added.

Ojha said he was sticking to the basics and not working on special deliveries or tactics for Twenty20 and one-day cricket. "I am just trying to stick to the basics like working on my flight and keeping a good length consistently."

Meanwhile, only three Indian players opted to use the optional practice session with the Pathan brothers and Ojha coming to the nets.

Irfan, who missed the first three games of the Asia Cup because of a side strain, bowled around six to seven overs in the nets before he picked up the bat under the guidance of the team physiotherapist.

No comments: